1.26.2014

otis

i
realize now where i went wrong
where things fell apart
broken moments not listening to the music
ignoring the same advice that i had given countless times in the past
pulling the strings on us
until we
unraveled like a tattered sweater
not
paying attention to my past
not understanding that sometimes
love gets weary
wearing the same old shaggy smile
listening for soft words until the world becomes easier to bear

i didnt
make things easier
i forgot
to turn off my aggression
and make tender those situations
when all love needed
was a moment

one
- if i could, i would rewrite our beginning on the inside of my eyelids
so the story of us would be the first thing i would see in my dreams

two
- i would write out every negative part of my past until it flowed away from my pen forever.

three
- i would write you the story of my life
openly and honestly
letting you read the parts of me that were hidden from my own heartbeat

four
- i would write you the world.
letting you be my muse
the underlying theme behind every word written

five
- i would love you

five
- i will love you

five
- i love you

six
- every day
from now until forever
i will remember my own advice
and the advice of countless others
to just love you

seven
- i will listen to the music
and play more otis
and sam
and marvin
and james and ray and bobby and luther
i will slow dance
whenever you just want to slow dance

eight
- i will recognize where i went wrong
and when the song plays
i will close my eyes
and pull you next to my heart beat

and love you.

(paulwroteit/copyright 2014)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In love with your work. Keep it coming