9.13.2016

treasure

she handed me her heart
in a box
a bunch of broken pieces that she said she had learned to live without

she told me
if i could put them back together again then it was mine
to keep

she handed me her smile
she had thrown it into a bag
said she
was going to give it to goodwill
just had not had time to drop it off

she told me

dont look too close to the edges of her smile
because they had been withered by her tears
she had sadness in her laugh

she handed me her peace
she had left it in the attic next to her memories
before she had lost her way

she told me

it may be faded
but to her it was all junk
nothing to be treasured

nothing to hold on to
she had learned to do without it
made excuses for how she really didn't need it

she told me it was all trash

broken parts of her past
that she was willing to let go

i asked for her time
told her that i would rather glue the pieces of her heart back together
with my soul than to leave them in her attic

i told her the withering of her smile was where the roses of her future would grow

i asked for her trust
told her that i was willing

to give her as much time as she needed to find it
while i
danced in her light
and laughed in her smile

and told her that her peace
was my destination
and her heart
was my treasure

and her love
we could find
together

2 comments:

Lauren said...

A love poem, indeed

Lauren said...

A love poem, indeed